You will be part of a small team of fewer than 30 riders, discovering the real Zambia on the same model of motorcycle that provides a vital lifeline to the rural communities you will visit.
Riding is just part of Riders Experience Africa. You will stop to talk, stop to listen and stop to understand what so many visitors to Africa miss: the vitality, the humour and the pretty-well unfailing good nature of the hospitable people in this hard but thrilling landscape. Yes, there will be riding past gazelles and elephants. Yes, you will visit Victoria Falls and see the sun set over the great Zambezi river. But you will also ride to rural clinics and see first-hand the real problems out there for health workers and the people they care for. You will even ride with health workers to see the work they do. Whether at a lodge on the banks of Lake Kariba or a night under canvas, you will have the opportunity to unwind in the evening with the group, review your riding and talk about the experiences you have shared. It’s the trip of a lifetime and your chance to make a difference.
7 days (8 nights)
You will ride over 1000km through Zambia’s Southern Province from Lusaka to Livingstone over four days, with two additional days to rest of ride.
- Ride a route through the beautiful rural Zambian landscape from Lusaka to Livingstone
- Travel alongside a Zambian healthcare worker
- Learn how motorcycles are being used to help save lives in rural Zambia from Riders staff
- Experience walking with lions, Zambia’s stunning lake Kariba and the magnificent Victoria falls
- Day one
- Arrive in Lusaka where you will be met and taken to your lodge where you will meet your hosts and fellow riders. This is the time to relax. If you have a moment you might jump into the pool for a quick swim.
- Day two
- Today you will get to know your AG200 with the ride leader. Later a Riders for Health Zambia staff member will introduce you to the work of Riders for Health in Africa and the importance of what you will see on your route. The ride leader will also prepare you for the next day’s riding.
- Day three
- This is the first full day of riding and is designed to be a great introduction to off-road riding in Zambia. Today you will begin to see the rural settlements and the way of life for the people who live in rural Zambia. This is important in understanding the need for the work of Riders for Health. The day ends at The Moorings campsite, where you will spend a night almost under the stars in a spacious Experience Africa tent.
- Day four
- After breakfast you will head south to Kariba Bush Lodge, which sits right on the edge of beautiful Lake Kariba.
- Day five
- Today is a rest day and a chance to recharge your batteries a little after two full days of riding. You will have the chance to meet crocodiles (from the safety of your safari vehicle) before taking a more leisurely afternoon ride in the bush. Enjoy the famous Zambian sunset with your fellow riders and an early night before your big day tomorrow.
- Day six
- You will ride to two rural health centres to meet Riders for Health Zambia staff who will introduce you to the Zambian health workers who ride motorcycles to save lives. This is a time for learning how Riders operates in Zambia. Be prepared to truly understand what you’ve come to Zambia for. Later you will ride to Choma museum, the regions’ fascinating cultural centre.
- Day seven
- Today, you will learn more about the life of a Zambian health worker by following their off road motorcycle route and visiting the communities they serve. In the afternoon, the ride departs Choma for Livingstone. Tonight, you stay at the Waterfront Lodge on the shore of the Zambezi river.
- Day eight
- Livingstone is full of things to do and you’ll be doing it all on a motorbike (if you want to.) After an optional early morning walking safari you will ride to uniquely magnificent Victoria Falls, After lunch you will visit the Riders for Health Livingstone workshop, where you will meet our amazing staff. Use your few hours of free time to take one of Livingstone’s renowned sunset cruises on the Zambezi or relax by the pool. Later, enjoy a leaving dinner with your fellow riders.
- Day nine
- After breakfast, those returning home via Heathrow will travel by transfer bus to Livingstone airport. From there you will fly to Johannesburg. After well earned time relaxing and reminiscing in the VIP lounge at Johannesburg airport, you will depart on your flight back to the UK. Separate arrangements will be made for those extending their trip.
*Example Experience Africa itinerary